Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Wyrd Wednesday - Airgetlam, the Silver Hand

Today's Wednesday and it's the day I go all Wyrd (=weirder than usual that is), talking about whatever comes into my head. I'm still in my Celtic nail-art series but today's nail-art comes with stories and legends. I'm gonna talk a bit about me too! Still in my endeavour to be less harsh on myself, I'm forcing myself to see my progress instead of the road that's still ahead. It goes for every field: sooo, you might have noticed that lately I've been a bit more into nail-art than I used to be and I decided to re-do some designs I tried last year, with mitigated success I have to say!! So from time to time now you'll see my past endeavours in all their awful glory (and bad pictures!) and the 2012 version.
The inspiration behind this manicure was a character from Irish mythology called Nuada Airgetlam, Nuada of the Silver Hand. The name might be familiar to you if you know the Hellboy stories but there's no similarities between the two characters. Nuada was a king of the Tuatha de Danann, the Fairy Folks of Ireland (I'm summarizing a bit otherwise we're here until 2013), but he lost an arm during the first battle of Mag Tured agains the Firbolgs (the primeval giants that held the Isle of Ireland under thralldom). Being king of the Tuatha de Danann required, among other things, physical integrity, so Nuada had to give up his position. Bres became king in his stead, but he was unworthy and submitted the Tuatha to the Fomorians, much to the dismay of his own people. In the meantime, the physician Diancecht had devised a silver arm for Nuada so the Tuatha could destitute Bres and place the Airgetlam back on the throne where he reigned for another twenty years. 
So when I found a konad plate with a Celtic interlace, I wanted to go for different kinds of grey and become myself an Airgetlam, Lelie of the Silver Hand! That first nail-art was done with OPI Suzi Sky in the Pyrenees Suede and China Glaze Let's Do It in 3D, with the stamping done with China Glaze Milenium. Apologies for the blurry pictures, but that should give you an idea...


 
 
For 2012, I used A-england Arthur instead of a holo polish, and I tried to draw a French manicure with the stamping (it's a straight line on the plate, so making the curve wasn't easy as it looks!) and then cover the tips with OPI Suki Sky in the Pyrenees Suede.




Of course, the second version is "better" in terms of execution and pictures, but I will probably try it again with the combo matte and holo, I find it feistier!

Aujourd'hui c'est mercredi! Et comme vous le savez, le mercredi, c'est le jour où je deviens Wyrd (encore plus bizarre que d'habitude en fait!), où je parle de tout et n'importe quoi. Comme je suis toujours dans ma série de nail-art celtiques pour la St Patrick mais la mouture du jour s'accompagne d'histoires et de légendes. Je vais aussi parler un peu de moi! Je vous ai dit il y a quelque temps que j'essayais d'être plus sympa avec moi-même et pour ce faire, je me concentre sur ma progression plutôt que sur le chemin qui reste à parcourir. Ca marche aussi pour le nail-art : vous avez sans doute remarqué que dernièrement, je me remets un peu au nail-art et j'ai donc décidé de refaire des nail-arts que j'avais tentés l'an dernier, avec plus ou moins de succès!! Donc, de temps en temps, vous aurez le bonheur de voir mes vieilles oeuvres dans toute leur horreur nail-artesque et photographique, et ensuite la version 2012.
L'inspiration première pour cette manucure est un personnage de la mythologie irlandaise, Nuada Airgetlam, Nuada à la Main d'Argent. Vous connaissez peut-être ce nom si vous êtes familiers avec l'univers d'Hellboy, mais ça n'a pas grand-chose à voir. Nuada était le roi des Tuatha de Danann, le Peuple Féerique de l'Irlande (je fais des raccourcis sinon on va y passer la nuit), mais il perd un bras pendant la première bataille de Mag Tured contre les Firbolgs (les géants du chaos qui soumettaient l'Irlande à l'esclavage). Pour être roi des Tuatha, il faut être intègre et entier mentalement et physiquement et cette blessure força Nuada à donner le trône à Bres. Bres n'était pas un bon roi qui remis le peuple d'Irlande sous le joug des Firbolgs. Diancecht le médecin fabriqua alors un bras en argent pour Nuada afin qu'il puisse destituer Bres et reprendre le trône pour vingt ans. 

Alors quand j'ai trouvé une plaque de stamping avec un motif d'entrelacs celtique, j'ai voulu faire une manucure de variantes de gris pour me transformer en Airgetlam, Lélie à la Main d'Argent! Ce premier nail-art a été fait avec OPI Suzi Ski in the Pyrenees Suede et China Glaze Let's Do It in 3D, le stamping avec China Glaze Milenium. Je m'excuse pour les photos floues mais ça donne une idée du résultat...


 
 

Pour la version 2012, j'ai utilisé Arthur d'A-england plutôt qu'un vernis holo, et j'ai fait une délimitation de french avec le stamping (le motif est une ligne droite, donc faire une courbe n'est pas aussi simple qu'il n'y paraît), et j'ai ensuite refait ma French avec OPI Suzi Sky in the Pyrenees Suede. 



Bien sûr, en termes d'exécution et de photos, la version 2012 est meilleure, mais je retenterai le coup avec un vernis holo, je trouve cela plus festif!

2 comments:

  1. I'd be very interested to see the matte/holo version of this!
    I like the manicure, though. It's shiny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try it again one for sure, but first I'm going over all my old nail-art, so it won't be for right now!!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...