Saturday, September 24, 2011

A England Avalon + comparison OPI Grape Set Match

Oh, Avalon
For you I quest each day
The resting place of Arthur
And the Old Code of his way
And when I find those holy stones
I’ll pray, I’ll pray, I’ll pray
Oh, Avalon, bright Avalon,
Think me not a fool
My quest is not for vanity
My quest is spiritual... spiritual



With these words does Brother Gilbert (played by Pete Postlethwaite - in Dragonheart -, one of my favourite actors ever, RIP) speak of the legendary isle of Avalon, the Land of Apples, realm of Morgana where King Arthur was taken to heal after being mortally wounded by his son Mordred in the battle of Camlann. The mere name Avalon is evocative of all the magic and wonders that surrounds Arthurian legends. That's to say a polish named Avalon raises a lot of expectations and Adina, the creator of a-england, proved worthy of the challenge. Avalon is a truly mesmerizing multichrome with a purple base that flashes blue and pink. It applies like a dream, is opaque in two coats and is crazily glossy.

In indirect light, you see the purple base and the blue shimmer, with some hint of the pink.

In full light, the pink shows

In the shade, the mysterious depth of Avalon is captivating.

The colour reminded me of another favorite of mine from last summer, OPI Grape Set Match from the Glam Slam Collection, so I took it out to compare the two.

The bottles show the similarities in base colour and multichrome


The main difference between the two polishes is the foil finish of GSM and it makes the base colour darker

But in full light, you can see that the colours and multichrome are really similar
All in all, the foil finish makes the multichrom harder to get on GSM, but both polish are magical in their own right
This is no secret that I'm attracted to any reference to Celtic myths and legends, but it doesn't turn me into a blind customer, so when my favourite cultural references are associated with truly fantastic products, it's even better. A-england is a small starting brand, available only online and each polish is 9£. This might seem a bit pricey, but the quality fully justifies the price-tag. I have other pretties from this brand to show you, so stay tuned!

Oh, Avalon
For you I quest each day
The resting place of Arthur
And the Old Code of his way
And when I find those holy stones
I’ll pray, I’ll pray, I’ll pray
Oh, Avalon, bright Avalon,
Think me not a fool
My quest is not for vanity
My quest is spiritual... spiritual



Ce poème est tiré du film Dragonheart, ce sont les mots par lesquels Frère Gilbert (joué par Pete Postlethwaite, un de mes acteurs préférés, paix à son âme) parle de la légendaire île d'Avalon, l'île des Pommes, royaume de Morgane où Arthur est emmené pour y être soigné des blessures infligées par son fils Mordred au cours de la bataille de Camlann. Le simple nom d'Avalon évoque toute la magie et les merveilles des légendes arthuriennes. C'est dire si un vernis portant ce nom doit être à la hauteur et je dois dire qu'Adina, la créatrice de la marque a-england, a remporté le challenge. Avalon est un vernis absolument fascinant, alliant une sublime base violet à des reflets bleus et roses. Il s'applique comme un rêve, est opaque en deux couches et a un fini très lacqué.

En lumière indirecte, on voit la base violette et les reflets bleus, avec une touche de rose difficile à saisir.

En lumière directe, le rose apparaît enfin.

A l'ombre, Avalon est violet mais possède une profondeur captivante.

Cette couleur m'a rappelé un de mes chouchous de l'été, le Grape Set Match de la collection Glam Slam d'OPI, alors j'ai voulu les comparer.

Les bouteilles montrent bien les similitudes de la base et des reflets.


La différence principale tient au fini, GSM est un foil, et cet effet fonce la couleur de base.

Mais en pleine lumière on voit bien que les couleurs sont les mêmes.
L'effet foit rend les reflets plus difficiles à saisir sur GSM, mais on a là deux vernis absolument sublimes.
Ce n'est pas un secret que je suis attirée par tout ce qui se rapporte aux mythes et légendes celtiques, mais cela ne m'empêche pas d'être critique, et alors quel bonheur quand mes références culturelles favorites s'associent à des produits à la qualité fantastique!! A-england est une jeune marque qu'on ne trouve que sur internet, chaque vernis coûtant 9£. Cela peut sembler un peu cher, mais la qualité le justifie vraiment. J'ai d'autres bijoux de cette marque à vous montrer, alors à bientôt!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...